Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Zucchini bread deconstruction accident/experiment

It's not very pretty. But the best ones usually aren't. Maybe you wouldn't notice it from across the room. Maybe you wouldn't notice it... anywhere.

But it's pretty damn good for an experiment.

After a pretty rough track practice, boyfriend declared that it was time for a "light" dinner. I almost castrated him, then I got my bearings back, and decided to make the most of it.

Tuna salad with capers in a hollowed out tomato? Topped with half a slice of cheese and some panko? Sure, why not? Sorry no photo... it's all gone.

The problem with light dinners is always dessert. I want basically to cover my body in chocolate in a desperate attempt to get it all into my mouth. Boyfriend, and my waistline, generally frown on this. In comes zucchini.


I got 2 zucchinis Sunday night at the Mexican grocery for super cheap, and I decided that it's time to use them. Basically, this dessert became a sort of deconstructed (oh the cliche) healthy version of zucchini bread. And it's damn tasty. Try it!

Zucchini healthy bread in a muffin tin
  • 1 zucchini, shredded with a grater
  • 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie seasoning
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 Tablespoons honey
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
Preheat oven to 400 degrees or really whatever you like.
Construction : Mix all ingredients except eggs in a bowl. In muffin tins, put an beaten egg into each of 3 muffin holes.  Bake until slightly firm. Spoon 1/3 of zucchini mix into each muffin hole. Bake until... risen? Not leaking? Whatever. Eat.

Sorry if this post is slightly angry. It's healthy dessert with vegetable in it. It's not a chocolate bar. Don't kid yourself.

No comments: