Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Orangey tart flavor explosion experiment

Usually, baking for me is like science. It's not fun, and it ends up not working. Such is life. Somehow, though, I managed to make a damn good tart the other day! Success!



The story always comes back to... Amy, why did you leave work early to bake a tart anyway? I wish I could give you a good answer. Turns out, science is boring. And frustrating, hence my blog's title. Cooking rarely is either of these things.

Oh, and also, today I failed miserably at filling one of the new camelback water holder things, slipped in 40oz of water on the floor in a sad attempt to get the phone (I didn't) and I think I broke my toe. That's besides the point. It's been a not so good day, and the only comment I got on here was admittedly my boyfriend masquerading as someone else.

But on!

Orangey tart with graham cracker crust
Serves about 8 large slices
  • 8 graham crackers
  • 3 Tbsp salted butter
  • 6 Tbsp fat free greek yogurt, 2 for the crust, 4 for the filling
  • 5 jumbomax eggs (mine had a double yolk!!)
  • 1/2 cup orange juice (low pulp, but who knows if it matters... it's just what was in the fridge) 
  • 3/4 cup white granular sugar
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • pinch salt
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract (none of that fake stuff - only real vanilla for my kitchen sink tart!)
  • I think that's it...
For crust, crush graham crackers into a fine pulp (I used my brand new mortar and pestle!). Mix with melted butter and 2 Tbsp greek yogurt. Work into a paste and squish into a tart pan. Bake at 350F for about 10 minutes.



For filling, take all of the rest of the ingredients, put in a bowl, and electric beat them to DEATH until foamy and delicious. Pour into tart pan, and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. Turn off oven, and let tart cool in the closed oven.

Slice and keep away from hungry boyfriend. Seriously.

Healthy AND delicious this time! Annnnnd it doesn't look like dog poop/slop! Woohoo!

Photos by Ben : heliotrope.ucsd.edu

No comments: